Jan 15, 2014

Singapore noodles




Singapore noodles are one of my favourite dinners to eat at home.  The dish is easy to prepare and you can stick to a more traditional recipe or change it up by varying the meat and vegetables.  It is also really good using tofu instead of meat or fish.

In this recipe I used egg noodles that I had on hand but I also make this dish with rice vermicelli noodles.  In my opinion, the fine rice noodles work better and really soak up all the flavours.

If you like a bit of heat in your noodles, then I suggest using a hot curry powder instead of the mild one I used or alternatively add some chilli flakes for that extra kick of spice.
Like all stir fry dishes, this is a speedy dish so it pays to have all your ingredients prepared and ready to go so you can just throw them into the wok.

Below the recipe you will find a video of me making this dish so go ahead and take a look at it if you would like to see how I made it.

Singapore noodles

Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 sliced red capsicum
4 Tbs vegetable, peanut or canola oil
400-450g noodles - prepared according to packet instructions
400 g raw prawns
1/2 cup frozen peas
6 spring onions, finely sliced
1/4 cup coriander, chopped
2 tsp ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs curry powder
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
3 Tbs soy sauce

1.  Heat the oil in a pan or wok.  Add the spring onions and fry for about 5 minutes until soft.
2.  Add the garlic and ginger and curry powder and fry for about 1 minute until fragrant.
3.  Add prawns and peas and cook until the prawns are almost cooked (the prawns will turn opaque when cooked).
4.  To the pan, add the noodles, soy sauce, lemon juice and coriander.  Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients and fry for a couple minutes until the noodles are fully heated through and the prawns cooked.
5.  Serve with wedge of lemon if desired.


1 comment:

Trisha said...

I love a yummy, quick dish like this. I can't wait to try it out.