May 28, 2012

Favourite things in May

Today's post is not a recipe.  It is however filled with my top 5 favourite things in May.  I hope you enjoy!

1. Where I ate lunch recently is Lotus Story.
Tucked away at the far end of Dawn Fraser Avenue of Sydney Olympic Park is Lotus Story.  This place does really good Vietnamese food which is more targeted towards the lunch crowd working in Sydney Olympic Park.  But if you happen to be out that way it is really worth trying as the flavours are delicious and true to the Vietnamese cuisine.  On the menu are a range of salads, curries, rice paper rolls (try their lemongrass beef rolls if you get chance…they are outstanding) and even Asian inspired baguettes baked on the premises!

2. Where I would have lunch given time and funds is Quay restaurant.
We’ve seen Peter Gilmore appear on Australia’s version of Master Chef and certainly the creative flair he displays with food is really something unique.  With that kind of talent, a dining experience at Quay restaurant is on my hit list, but it may need to wait for a special occasion.

3. My next kitchen purchase will be this Le-Chasseur pie dish.
My guilty secret is that I enter an apple pie bake off competition each year.  It is a bit of fun and a great inspiration to keep perfecting my pastry recipe.  However there are some serious apple pie bakers out there who consider every element from the type of apple to the pie dish they use.

4. The movie I would watch again is Midnight in Paris.  Read a review here.
One of my pet hates is re watching movies.  I always remember the story line and on the most part, sitting through it again equates to something like sitting in the dentist’s chair for me.   However there are a special handful of movies which I can watch again and again.  Usually these movies are character rich and something about a character’s experience will tug at my heart strings or peak my curiosity.  Often but not always, these are described as art house movies.  This is such a movie.

5. Best girly afternoon I’ve had is a special high tea with a girlfriend at The Victoria Room.
This place is old worldly, charming and true to its name.  I took my friend here to celebrate a special occasion.  Adding to the charm was a table near us filled with a little girls birthday party.  Those little girls sipping on their tea and eating cucumber sandwiches was just adorable.

8 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

They're great favourites! I really must watch Midnight in Paris I think! :D

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy said...

Great post! I think Midnight in Paris would have to be my movie of the year. Isn't it wonderful!?

Anonymous said...

Great list!

Hotly Spiced said...

Ah well...I haven't seen Midnight in Paris. Must hire it this weekend so I'm not the only one who doesn't know about it. I would love to dine at Quay too - must save up! And the movies I tend to watch again and again are Christmas movies. When it tis the season, I'll watch them again even though I remember watching them last year and the year before that and the... xx

Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake said...

I watched Midnight in Paris when it was in the cinemas and I loved it. Such an interesting concept and it was great acting as well. Love your other favourites too! :)

Ali said...

Oooh, The Quay is on my list also! One day, one day...!

Delishhh said...

Haven't seen the movie but i will now!

Asmita said...

Wonderful list.