There's nothing quite like the silky texture of an avocado. With autumn truly upon us now, I've been experimenting with heartier salads. So when I was looking to make my latest autumn salad, I knew I wanted to incorporate avocado into it. Not only are avocados in season at the moment, they can also help to turn any light salad into a meal.
I decided to use a base of warm vermicelli rice noodles which are not only perfect for the start of the cooler weather, but the warm noodles absorb the delicious ginger dressing beautifully. To add some crunchy texture to this salad, I used a sprinking of roasted peanuts. These are the perfect accompaniment to all of that silky rich avocado.
Finally, the dressing is the element that brings all of these ingredients together. I only used a small amount of ginger in this dressing as I don't like the ginger to overpower the delicate avocado flavour. In fact the balance of sweetness, saltiness and acidity is really important. The addition of toasted sesame seeds not only adds a textural element in the dressing but also compliments the sesame oil and both add a heap of flavour.
I love eating this salad on it's own for lunch or dinner. But if you're like Mr Shady Pine, you may like to add a more substantial serving of protein. A nicely pan fried piece of fish or chicken is a good choice.
Avocado and noodle salad with ginger sesame dressing
¼ cup roasted peanuts
1 ½ Tbs sesame seeds
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp raw caster sugar
½ tsp dried chilli
1cm piece of ginger, finely grated
125gm vermicelli rice noodles
1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out each half. Slice into 5mm slices lengthways.
2. Place rice noodles into a bowl of boiling water. Allow to soak for 3-4 minutes. Drain the noodles.
3. Toast the sesame seeds in a non stick pan over medium heat until golden brown.
4. In a small jug or mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, chilli, ginger and sesame seeds.
5. To assemble the salad, spread the noodles at the bottom of a platter. Arrange the avocado slices on top of the noodles. Scatter the peanuts over the avocado. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
6. Serve salad as it is or as side in a meal.