Jan 20, 2012

Simple lunch



Not wanting to put any northern hemisphere readers off side who are still getting through the winter, summer here means lovely ripe fresh tomatoes and of course fragrant basil. Basil to me is just one of those herbs that screams summer and I can never really think of basil without it's partner in life, the tomato.




With some leftover sourdough bread needing to be used, it was a straightforward choice for lunch....bruschetta!



I make bruschetta by dicing some tomatoes and a little bit of spanish onion. I add to this some chopped basil, olive oil and the tiniest splash of balsamic vinegar with plenty of pepper and some salt. I let this mixture sit for an hour or so to let the flavours come together.


When ready to eat, I toast some bread and rub some fresh garlic over it using a whole garlic clove. I scoop a generous amount of the tomato mixture on top and dive straight in. The simplicity of this type of food is my favourite. Simple, seasonal flavour and nothing else.



What's your simple lunch?

7 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That's a goodie indeed! So fresh and simple and tomatoes are so lovely now :) Hmm simple lunch for me is a salad-made up of whatever I have in the fridge! :P

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen said...

This looks delicious! Tomatoes and basil are gross here in Virginia at the moment, but at least I get to live vicariously through your photo until the summer!

Hotly Spiced said...

I love the look of your bruschetta. It really does make the perfect lunch or snack. So tasty and fresh. And yes, the tomatoes are just wonderful right now, as is the basil.

Gary McCourt said...

I love Brushetta, I prefer to smother mine with some tapenade though! yummy.

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

I'm happy to have your lunch... you don't mind sharing do you?
Love this time of year for exactly those two summery goodies, tomato and basil. Add some rocking olive oil and local garlic...perfect.

Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake said...

I actually made that exact same bruschetta not too long ago and I loved it! Basil is the most beautiful of herbs and tomatoes are my favourite food. Such a perfect match. :D So refreshing too, I might make some for lunch tomorrow in fact, can't take another big meal after 3 huge dinners in a row for Chinese New Year celebrations...

katepickle said...

oh I am seriously drooling here....
My basil seeds never grew but I think I might have give in and take a trip to the nursery because I NEED some bruschetta!